- pro-actively engage in farmland conservation,
- encourage agriculture and farming as the highest and best use of land, and
- establish Meredith as a farm-friendly community that will attract more farmers, residents and related businesses in the future.
The Town is assembling a Farmland Protection Plan Grant Committee (also known as the FPPGC or Committee) to oversee the grant and the planning process. One part of the process is to secure a consultant who will conduct and compile information and feedback provided by various entities such as:
- Meredith farmers, farm businesses, landowners and residents,
- Local agribusinesses and suppliers to farm enterprises,
- Regional agencies such as Delaware County Farmland Protection Board, Planning Department, Soil & Water Conservation District, Cornell Cooperative Extension and NYS Ag&Markets,
- Nonprofit organizations like Farm Catskills, American Farmland Trust and Glynwood Center,
- plus many others.
The Committee's workshops will be open to public. Informal public listening sessions will be arranged so people can share their views, concerns and solutions; a minimum of two formal public hearings will be held as well. Residents can submit comments and recommendations throughout the process through email, the Meredith Farmland blog, by mail (PO Box 64, Meredith, NY 13806) or by requesting a five-minute presentation slot during a Committee workshop. A FPPGC workshop schedule and Committee member list will be posted as it becomes available.
If you would like to be involved with this process or Committee, please contact Meredith's Town Supervisor Keitha Capouya at (607) 746-2431.